Every year, the Deloitte Human Capital Trends report is a treasure trove of insight into organization behavior and opportunities for success. You can go back to it multiple times and get something new each time. This is true for the 2016 report as it was for previous reports.
I was re-reading the chapter on Learning: Employees Take Charge, and was taken, again, with the evaluation of where organizations are today and where they will have to be in the short term in order to attract, retain and deploy the talent they need.
This chart says it all, and should be required reading – not just for HR, but all leaders who hope to hang on to their team long enough to develop them!
Deloitte believes that the C-suite really does understand that in order to execute their business plans they need to constantly upgrade skills and focus on quickly developing leaders. I wish I had their faith in the C-suite!
This chapter in the larger trends reports ends with recommended starting points for organizations:
- Recognize that employee-learners are in the driver’s seat
- Become comfortable with the shift from push to pull
- Use design thinking
- Use technology to drive employee-centric learning
- Realign and reengage
- Adopt a learning architecture that supports an expanded vision for development
- Adopt a learning architecture that supports continuous learning
If you haven’t downloaded the full report yet, do it now. You don’t have to read the whole thing in one sitting. Take it in bite sized pieces. You’ll be glad you did.